Member Stories - Independence
When Jonathon joined KeyRing he had 24/7 support with sleep ins and one to one support for activities, socialising and attending appointments.
KeyRing support began when Jonathon was in his supported living placement. This meant that our team got to know him and he got to know them. We helped him to find and apply for a home that he wanted to live in.
We helped him to make the move and even to get a decorating grant. It was all a big step as it was Jonathon’s first flat and moving from such high support was a bit daunting for him. We planned this transition really carefully and worked with a lot of people to help make things go smoothly.
When Jonathon first moved in he got support from us and a 40 hour package of support from another agency.
Some of the things we helped in with:
- Setting up gas, electricity, water and TV licence.
- Sourcing and setting up assistive technology.
- Working with appointees
- Shopping and healthy eating
- Support to keep his home clean and safe
- Support with medication and health visits
- Finding local activities that met Jonathon’s interests
- Engaging with KeyRing meetings and other KeyRing Members1
Six months after his move his support hours from the other provider were reduced to 15 hours a week. Less than one year after that, it was agreed that Jonathon was doing so well with KeyRing’s support that he didn’t need any additional hours on top of our support.
1. KeyRing Members are people who are part of KeyRing. The people we work with.
Jess got to know us as a KeyRing Member. She is now a volunteer in one of our Community Hubs. She runs workshops and works alongside other local charities to collect and donate clothing for the homeless.